Get a quote

Essential guides and top tips:
How to fight back against the floods

Words by
February 14, 2014
Share this:

This winter, storms wreaked havoc across the UK with homes in North Wales, northern England, Scotland, Kent, East Anglia, the south west of England and the Thames valley all falling victim to flooding.

More than 100 flood warnings were issued by the Environment Agency, some of which were at the highest level, involving a risk to life.

The weather may be unpredictable, but a bespoke policy from specialist insurance broker Adrian Flux is anything but – the broker’s team of expert advisers can provide a bespoke policy that suits your property, and your wallet.

In addition to finding the home insurance you need to ensure that you are covered in case of flooding, it also pays to be prepared – this may mean modifying your property if you live in an at-risk area and knowing how to limit the damage if your property is breached.

But what happens if your home is flooded? What exactly is covered by your insurance policies? Have you got the insurance cover that you need?

What you should do if your home is damaged by flood or storm damage:

1)     As soon as you hear there is a risk of flood, make sure you have your home (and car, if appropriate) insurance policies to hand in case you need to make a claim – keep them in a safe, waterproof place.

2)     After the incident, contact your insurer as quickly as possible. If you are calling out-of-hours, you will find most will have emergency helplines which will help you start the process as soon as possible.

3)     You can arrange temporary emergency repairs if they will stop the damage to your property getting worse. Make sure you inform your insurer of any such measures and keep any receipts so you can submit them with your claim.

4)     Items damaged by floodwater should be kept until your insurer has advised you what to do – some items may be able to be repaired.

5)     Remember that just because the water has subsided, the damage it has done to your property can take weeks or months to repair. Do not decorate a house that has yet to dry out properly.

What is covered on my insurance policies?

1)   Your household buildings and contents policy will usually cover flood and storm damage and your insurer may be able to pay for temporary accommodation for you and your family while your own home is being repaired.

2)   If your car is comprehensively insured, it will be covered for flood or storm damage. Some policies will also include a replacement vehicle for you to use while yours is out of action.

3)   Business insurance policies will cover storm and flood damage to your premises and stock. If you are working in a high-risk area, it’s worth checking that your policy includes business interruption cover or buying a separate policy. This will cover costs such as hiring a temporary base for your operation.

4)   Travel policies can cover you if your plans are disrupted by bad weather – check your policy to ensure that you have the peace of mind you need.

* Adrian Flux Insurance Services has a team of expert advisers who can offer you bespoke policies for home, car and travel insurance. For more information, call 0333 555500 or visit

Related Articles

Get a free insurance quote for your vehicle

Get a Free Quote