A 1987 Caterham Super-7 once owned by Mr Bean creator, the rubber-faced funny man Rowan Atkinson, is up for sale.
The Caterham Super-7 will go under the hammer at Coys auction of “True Greats 2017” at The Royal Horticultural Society, Westminster, London, SW1P 2PE, from noon on Tuesday, December 5.
The car’s pre-sale estimate is £28,000-£33,000.
Caterham Super-7 based on Lotus-7 kit car
The 1987 Caterham Super-7 is a super-lightweight sports car based on the Lotus-7, a lightweight sports car sold in kit and factory-built form by Lotus Cars.
Between 1986 and 1995 a limited edition HPC version fitted with a BDR1700 engine and limited slip differential was available.
The name “HPC” derived from the fact that new owners had to complete a High Performance driving Course before taking delivery, such was the performance available.
HPC made use of the 1700 Cosworth BDR engine, which produced 170bhp.
Not all about the “grunt” of the Caterham Super-7
According to Coys’ sale notes, the HPC isn’t just about the “grunt”.
“It’s such a finely honed, beautifully balanced expression of the Lotus-7 genre that Autocar called it ‘possibly the best all-purpose 7 there has been’.”
This Caterham Super-7, finished in black with black interior and is one of just 62 ever produced with the 1700 Cosworth BDR engine.
Documentation with the car includes the original UK registration log book signed by Atkinson and photographs of him with the car.
Caterham Super-7 owned by Atkinson was featured on TV
Mr Atkinson, a self confessed petrol head who has owned a fleet of high performance cars and appeared on TV shows such as Top Gear, is believed to have owned the Caterham Super-7 until August 1989.
In 1990 the car was featured in a television programme called “The Driven Man” which detailed Atkinson’s interest in cars, and aimed to get as many of his previous cars together.
After several years of use, the car underwent extensive restoration by Super 7 specialists Partridge Green Motorsport Ltd., returning to the road in April 2017.
Finding insurance for your Caterham Super-7
- Finding good-quality kit car insurance that includes track day cover is not always easy. Fast forward the kit car insurance experts at Adrian Flux.
- Adrian Flux policies suit kit car owners and offer a range of features that will help owners get the most out of their cars. Features include:
- Flexible limited mileage options Cover for track days and events
- Free European green card for 90 days
- Salvage retention
- Build up cover and cover for dismantled parts
- Uninsured loss recovery for non-fault claims
- Legal cover up to £100,000
- Left hand drive models are not a problem
Adrian Flux insurance discounts for Caterham Super-7
- Limited Mileage
- Second car policies
- Security Precautions
- Extra Discounts of up to 20% for enthusiasts.