Last Updated on
Call handlers have been working around the clock after being deluged with claims as a result of Storm Ciara.
The Adrian Flux claims team handled 43 calls in respect of damage caused to vehicles when the storm was at its peak on Sunday and Monday.
Most of the damage was caused by falling foliage, branches and trees razed by gusts of more than 80 miles an hour.
On Sunday and Monday the previous week there were just four motoring claims over the whole Adrian Flux insurance network, which includes Sterling and Chartwell insurance companies.
Insurance companies braced for more claims
Household inquiries claim are also up significantly. A call centre spokesman said: “We have implemented our claims surge plan adding temporary resources to the team during this period. Prompted by Storm Ciara, call volumes are running at between 200%-250% of what we would expect in a normal week.”
The ABI (Association of British Insurers) reassured motorists and homeowners that suffered damage during Storm Ciara that insurers will be doing everything they can to help them recover as quickly as possible.
ABI spokesman Malcolm Tarling said: “Insurers expect storms to strike at any time and are fully geared up to help customers hit by high winds and floods recover as quickly as possible.”
The ABI advised those who have suffered damage:
- Only return to your home if it is safe to do so. If your home is unsafe, your insurer should be able to arrange temporary alternative accommodation.
- Contact your home or motor insurer as soon as possible. Most, such as Adrian Flux, will have 24-hour emergency helplines to ensure customers get advice on what to do and arrange repairs and recovery as quickly as possible.
- If necessary, arrange temporary emergency repairs to prevent damage getting worse. But tell your insurer and keep any receipts, as this will form part of your claim.
- Don’t be in a rush to throw away damaged items, unless they are a danger to health, as these may be able to be repaired or restored. Your insurer will advise.
- If your home is uninhabitable while repairs are being carried out, your insurer will arrange for, and pay the cost of, any alternative temporary accommodation you may need.
The Adrian Flux claims team can be contacted on 0344 381 6502 (24 hours a day, all year round) or for general queries about claims visit the company’s FAQs.