Mature drivers are getting a rough deal when it comes to insurance premiums with costs going up – but Adrian Flux insurance services thinks it’s time to buck the trend.
The over 50s saw an increase of 3.3 per cent in insurance costs last year with the average price for cover rising to £413. During the same period drivers under the age of 25 saw their insurance fall 1.2 per cent with an average policy costing £1,591 a year, according to analysts at Consumer Intelligence.
The driving population is getting older as life expectancy has increased and, once a motorist reaches 70, the statistical chance of them having an accident and making a claim increases. Their mature driver premium will increase too, reflecting the extra risk.
And they don’t seem to help themselves because mature drivers tend not to visit price comparison sites to shop around for a better deal on their insurance.
But they can save themselves a whole lot of trouble and probably a good deal of cash, by talking to an insurance intermediary such as Adrian Flux. The specialist insurer thinks a driver’s experience and blemish free driving record is more an indication of their likelihood of making a claim than their age alone.
So how can mature drivers save with Adrian Flux?
- Mature drivers should add an adult son or daughter to their policy to bring the premium down (this will probably not help, and may have the reverse effect, with additional drivers in their early 20s).
- If you are retired, make sure you are listed on the proposal form as “retired” rather than “unemployed”, which may bump up your premium.
- Mature drivers tend to clock up fewer miles so an agreed limited mileage policy can bring you big savings.
- Membership of an online motoring club or forum could earn you an extra discount of up to 15%.
- Keep your car garaged if you can, and install the best alarm system you can afford for more discounts.
- You can also lower your premium by opting to increase your voluntary excess — but remember to agree an excess that you can reasonably afford to pay in the event of you having to make a claim.
- If you think you have been quoted way over the top for your motor insurance, give Adrian Flux a call and you could save an average £700 on quotes of around £2,000. That’s an awful lot of money for not a lot of bother. And, the more you have been quoted, the more we can save you.
An insurance quote beyond comparison
Why waste your time ringing round dozens of companies to find the best deal, or struggling with a price comparison site, when we can do the hard work for you? We have a panel of more than 40 insurance providers to consult and track down the very best deal for you.
For a quick and cheap mature drivers insurance quote phone 0800 369 8590 or complete the call me form during office hours for an immediate, no-obligation motor insurance quote.