Updated 5th November
Whilst you can travel for a number of reasons under the second COVID-19 lockdown, you might find that you aren’t using your car as frequently as you once did. If you find yourself with a little extra time on your hands, follow our tips to ensure your car is primed and ready for when you need to make a journey.
Here are some important tips and tricks to take care of your car during the lockdown:
1. Ensure your car is parked in a safe covered area. If you don’t have covered parking, then keep the car covered. This will protect it from bird droppings or sunlight that could damage the paint. Also ensure you remove all litter or food items from your car that might leave a bad smell and may attract rats or mice.
2. Fill up your tank if you’re low as this can prevent frequent trips to the petrol station. Plus if there is less fuel in your car, in time the air above the fuel could cause condensation which could potentially lead to rusting.
3. If your car is not going to be used for the time being, you could disconnect your car’s battery during the lockdown to ensure the battery doesn’t go flat. However, we strongly advise you check this with the manufacturer before doing so, as this can cause damage to some modern vehicles. You can also start the car once every couple of days and let it idle for some time, which will have the added benefit of keeping your battery from depleting. Another tip is to turn the air conditioning on while you are doing this so that any dust gets blown out.
4. Make sure your tyres are inflated at the correct pressure. When kept standing for a long time the tyres could lose air pressure and keeping them inflated helps prevent cracking of the sidewalls.
5. Avoid engaging the handbrake when leaving the car idle as it could get jammed. It’s always best to leave the car in gear or parking mode if you’re able to. For additional safety, you could also use wheel chocks, such as a big piece of wood or brick to keep the car from rolling.
Not sure if you’re allowed to use your car at the moment? Read our guide with the latest information on how to use your vehicle during the second lockdown.
No matter what vehicle you have Adrian Flux has you covered, with various insurance policies to help you during these unprecedented times.