Get a quote

Road tax exemptions for disabled drivers

Words by
November 12, 2020
Share this:

If you’re a driver with a disability, you may qualify for a road tax exemption depending on whether you meet certain criteria. If you don’t have one already, you may also be eligible for a blue badge, which allows you certain parking concessions.

Eligibility for road tax exemption

To be eligible for disability road tax exemption, the vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. The vehicle must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs, so nominated drivers can’t drive the car for personal use.

You can apply for disabled car tax if you already receive one of the following:

  • Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment.

road tax exemption

How to claim road tax exemption for the first time

You can claim for the disability road tax exemption when you’re applying for vehicle tax. If you’re claiming disabled car tax for the first time or if you change your vehicle, you must claim at a Post Office that offers vehicle tax services. After this, you can apply online.

If your vehicle is new, you should take your ‘Certificate of Entitlement’ to the car dealership to claim free tax status.

If your vehicle is used and you’re applying for the first time, you must also change the vehicle’s tax class at a Post Office. To change the tax class, you will need to bring with you the following items:

  • Certificate of Entitlement to DLA, PIP, AFIP or WPMS
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C log book) or the V5C/2 (nominated driver details)
  • A completed application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V62).

To find a post office that deals with vehicle tax near you, visit the Post Office Branch Finder.

Eligibility for vehicle tax reduction

If you aren’t eligible for road tax exemption but you receive the PIP standard rate mobility component, you can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax. The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

Again, the vehicle must only be used by the disabled driver or nominated driver for the disabled person’s personal needs, and cannot be used by the nominated driver for personal use.

How to claim for vehicle tax reduction

The only way to obtain the disability road tax reduction is by sending the appropriate paperwork to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BF.

You must send the following documents:

  • An official letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming that shows your PIP rate, the dates you’re receiving it, your name, and your address
  • An original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C log book)
  • A V10 form
  • A cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle.

If you live in Northern Ireland, you’ll also need to provide an insurance certificate or cover note.

How to renew your road tax exemption

To renew your disabled vehicle tax, you can usually apply online or by phone.

road tax exemption

Disabled car tax transfer explained

Swapping disabled tax to another car

Unfortunately, you’re unable to transfer disabled car tax status from one vehicle to another. When you get a new vehicle, or if the registered keeper changes, you’ll need to apply for free tax at a participating Post Office.

Change your car’s tax class from ‘disabled’

If you’re the vehicle’s new owner, or the disabled person is no longer eligible for free tax, the only way to change the tax class from disabled is to apply at a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax.

Disabled driver insurance from Adrian Flux

Offering more than 200 car insurance schemes covering a variety of disabilities, we’ll help you find the right disabled driver insurance policy to suit your personal needs and vehicle.

Your guide to the Blue Badge parking rules

Related Articles

Get a free insurance quote for your vehicle

Get a Free Quote