Can I get car insurance with a provisional driving licence?

Everything you need to know about insuring a car with a green, provisional licence.

If you’ve been wondering whether the holder of a provisional licence can get car insurance, the short answer is yes. However, there are a few things to take into consideration:

  • If the provisional licence holder is learning to drive under the tuition of a qualified instructor, and in the instructor’s vehicle, then you can relax. It’s the instructor’s responsibility to sort out the vehicle’s insurance, and the cost is covered by the lesson fees.
  • If the provisional driver is driving the car of a friend or relative (whether for tuition or practice), you will need to make sure that adequate insurance cover is arranged. Keep reading for top tips on how to organise learner driver insurance.

Why drive someone else’s car as a learner driver?

When learning to drive with a qualified instructor, it’s a good idea to practice between private driving lessons. This can help reduce the number of lessons needed to pass the test, in turn cutting down the expenses.

Most instructors charge between £20 and £25 per lesson, and on average, it takes learner drivers about 45 hours to prepare for the driving test. You could be looking at a total of over £1,000!

However, there is no minimum number of lessons they must complete before taking a test. So, it stands to reason that the more practice a learner driver gets, fewer lessons are needed and the more money you potentially could save.

Did you know?
The law requires provisional licence drivers to be supervised by someone who is over 21 years old and has held a full licence for three or more years.

However, statistics show that drivers aged 24 and under are at a higher risk of crashing than older drivers. As such, some insurance companies state that learner driver supervisors must be at least 25 years old. So be sure to check the terms and conditions of your learner driver insurance policy.

If they drive without the correct supervision, the learner driver can face a fine of up to £1,000 (more than the cost of most learner driver car insurance policies) and get up to six penalty points on their provisional driving licence.

Getting insured on your car (or someone else’s)

You have two options:

1. Become a named driver

If the learner driver will be driving someone else’s car, they may choose to simply add the learner as a named driver to their existing insurance policy. This can work for family members or friends.

However, it’s worthwhile noting that the additional premiums will still be steep for the car owner and they could face losing your precious no claims bonus (NCB) if the learner driver has an accident.

It’s also unlikely that the learner driver would be able to build up an NCB of their own. An NCB will enable them to get a discount on future insurance premiums, by proving to the insurer that they haven’t made any claims against previous policies.

As with accidents or claims in general, supervisors should know that their insurance company needs to be made aware if an incident happens when guiding a learner driver. This could affect the supervisor’s own NCB and premiums.

2. Buy learner driver insurance

By investing in your own insurance for learner drivers, you can build up your own NCB. This could be beneficial in the long run as it will help reduce your insurance premiums over time.

You should also consider if you want to purchase a short-term or annual policy based on how long you want to take learning to drive.

To discuss more about our insurance options for provisional drivers, call 0330 123 1232 or arrange a callback to arrange a call at a time that suits you.

Getting insured on their own car

If the learner driver is lucky enough to already have their own set of wheels, then they will need to take out a learner driver insurance policy for that car.

It’s worth bearing in mind that the year, make and model of the car can all individually affect the premium. So if their first car is something flashy, don’t be surprised if the quotes are high or if certain insurance companies won’t offer any cover. Find out more about how much insurance costs for young and learner drivers.

Adrian Flux offers fully comprehensive learner driver insurance for vehicles up to insurance group 30, valued at less than £20,000.

Did you know?

Driving without insurance can lead to:

  • An unlimited fine
  • A driving ban
  • Up to eight penalty points

Learn more about the crimes and punishment around insurance dodging.

How much does a provisional licence insurance policy cost?

Learner car insurance is usually cheaper than for those who have passed their test, as insurance providers know that learner drivers are under constant supervision. We can offer cover from just 65p a day.

Finding cheap car insurance

Here are our top tips for cutting the cost of car insurance cover for learner drivers.

  • Car insurance premiums can be high, so shop around before choosing a provider for your learner insurance.
  • Learner drivers may save money by adding an experienced driver to their policy as a named (but not main) driver. Some insurance companies also offer short-term policies for provisional licence drivers, which could work out cheaper. See below for details on what Adrian Flux offer.
  • Keep an eye out for insurance providers that can offer a discount on a standard policy if a learner driver stays with them after passing the test. Also, look for policies that can allow the driver to build up a no claims bonus.
  • Choosing the right car and level of cover can also keep costs down. You may consider third-party fire and theft if the quote for comprehensive insurance is too high. This option is available for our 12-month provisional licence insurance policies.
  • Consider black box insurance policies for when the learner driver has passed their test.

What does Adrian Flux offer?

It can be hard to understand the legal requirements and costs of the short-term insurance necessary when a learner driver gets a provisional licence and starts learning to drive. And there could be even more kerfuffle when they pass their test as the insurance cover must be negotiated once again. As well as cheap provisional licence insurance, once the learner has passed their test, there are a number of driving schemes that can keep the cost of new driver insurance down.

Our learner driver premiums start from just 65p a day. Cover can be taken on a month-by-month basis or for two, three, six or 12 months at a time. This way, you will only pay for the cover needed before passing the test.

Can a new driver get motor insurance before they turn 17?

If you know which car the new driver will practice in, it’s possible to get insurance cover that automatically starts on their 17th birthday. If the car is new and has no other policyholder, you can arrange for accidental damage, fire and theft insurance cover in the meantime for the car for up to one month before the child’s 17th birthday.

Bear in mind that they will need to get a provisional licence before taking out insurance cover.

Can a learner driver practice in more than one car?

Yes, as long as they have the proper insurance cover for each vehicle. We can offer a 50% multi-car discount on a second policy.

What happens once a learner driver passes their test?

The provisional licence insurance cover will automatically stop. However, we have made it easy to organise continued cover with our young driver insurance. As we will already have all your details, changing the policy will be swift, cheap and hassle-free.

Learn more about our insurance options: call 0330 123 1232 or click here to arrange a call at a time that suits you.