Millions of British drivers journey abroad every year, but getting behind the wheel in a foreign country can be a daunting experience. Even if you speak the language, it can be easy to fall foul of a variety of issues through being unfamiliar with the local driving culture.
We’ve put together a list of tips and some facts you might need to be aware of before driving in Europe or further afield. For example, did you know that driving shirtless in Thailand is illegal? Or that you can be fined for sounding your horn near hospitals in Austria?
Using some of the most popular destinations for British tourists, here’s what you might need to know.
- The AA. (2015). Driving in Europe: speed limits. theaa.ie
- Alert Driving. (2015). Nigeria: FRSC and 2015 speed limit enforcement. alertdriving.com
- AVIS. (2015). AVIS road rules.
- Car Hire 3000. (2015). Driving in Jamaica. carhire3000.com
- InstantCars. (2015). Car rental in Egypt. instantcars.eu
- McGregor, C. (2015). List of left- & right-driving countries. worldstandards.eu
- NIST International School. (2014). Thai police to enforce new seat belt law. nist.ac.th
- Official for National Statistics. (2015). Travel trends, 2014.
- Popoola, S.O. Oluwadiya, K.S., Kortor, J.N., Denen-Akaa, P., and Onyemaechi, N.O.C. (2013).
- Compliance with seat belt use in Makurdi, Nigeria: an observational study. Annals of Medical &
- Health Sciences Research, 3 (3).
- Power, T. (2014). Transport and driving in Nigeria.
- Rhino Car Hire. (2013). Guide to driving abroad.
- Road Safety UAE. (2015). Road etiquette & politeness.
- South African Government. (2014). Driving in South Africa.
- World Health Organization. (2011). Maximum speed limits: data by country. who.int
- World Health Organization. (2013). Road safety: Sri Lanka. who.int