Get a quote

Road tax exemptions for disabled drivers: your questions answered

Words by
January 26, 2023
Share this:

If you’re a driver with a disability, you may qualify for a road tax exemption depending on whether you meet certain criteria. If you don’t have one already, you may also be eligible for a Blue Badge, which allows you certain parking concessions.

I’m disabled, am I eligible for road tax exemption?

To be eligible for disability road tax exemption, the vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name. The vehicle must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs, so nominated drivers can’t drive the car for personal use.

You can apply for disabled car tax if you already receive one of the following:

  • Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

What is a PIP road tax exemption?

road tax exemption
PIP road tax exemption is the discount you earn by using your Personal Independence Payment documentation as evidence that you qualify for an exemption.

Can you get free car tax if you have a Blue Badge?

You can’t get free car tax if you have a Blue Badge, but the fact you have qualified for a Blue Badge may mean you will also qualify for a road tax exemption.

Many Blue Badge holders are also eligible for exemption from paying road tax. People who don’t have a Blue Badge might also be able to get a road tax exemption.

You’ll automatically get a refund for any full remaining months of road tax when you apply for exemption.

How do you make your first claim for road tax exemption?

You can claim for the disability road tax exemption when you’re applying for vehicle tax. If you’re claiming disabled car tax for the first time or if you change your vehicle, you must claim at a Post Office that offers vehicle tax services. In subsequent years, you can apply online.

If your vehicle is new, you should take your ‘Certificate of Entitlement’ to the car dealership to claim free tax status.

If your vehicle is used and you’re applying for the first time, you must also change the vehicle’s tax class at a Post Office. To change the tax class, you will need to bring with you the following items:

  • Certificate of Entitlement to DLA, PIP, AFIP or WPMS
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C log book) or the V5C/2 (nominated driver details)
  • A completed application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V62)

To find a post office near you that deals with vehicle tax, visit the Post Office Branch Finder.

Am I eligible for a car tax reduction?

If you don’t qualify for free car tax for disabled driving, you may still qualify for a discount.

If you receive the PIP standard rate mobility component, you can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax. The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

Again, the vehicle must only be used by the disabled driver or nominated driver for the disabled person’s personal needs, and cannot be used by the nominated driver for personal use.

How do I claim for vehicle tax reduction?

The only way to obtain the disability road tax reduction is by sending the appropriate paperwork to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BF.

You must send the following documents:

  • An official letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) confirming your PIP rate, the dates you’re receiving it, your name, and your address
  • An original MOT
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C log book)
  • A V10 form
  • A cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle

If you live in Northern Ireland, you’ll also need to provide an insurance certificate or cover note.

You can usually renew your disabled car tax online or by phone.

Can I transfer my disabled car tax?

Swapping disabled tax to another car

Unfortunately, you’re unable to transfer disabled car tax status from one vehicle to another. When you get a new vehicle, or if the registered keeper changes, you’ll need to apply for free tax at a participating Post Office.

Change your car’s tax class from ‘disabled’

If you’re the vehicle’s new owner, or the disabled person is no longer eligible for free tax, the only way to change the tax class from disabled is to apply at a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax

How can I get insurance for my disability car?

With a panel of over 30 insurers that cover a variety of disabilities, we can help you find a disabled driver insurance policy that’s sympathetic to your needs and easy on your pocket. Our best deals are only available over the phone – 81.5% of all customers receiving an online quote in August 2022 could have obtained a cheaper quote over the phone.

Call 0800 369 8590 for a swift no-hassle quote or book a callback at a time that suits you.

Related Articles

Get a free insurance quote for your vehicle

Get a Free Quote