Get a quote

How to change your car tax class as a disabled driver

Words by
May 18, 2021
Share this:

Unsure about how to change your car tax class to or from disabled? Or are you looking to move your tax to another car? Either way, find out everything you need to know about changing your car tax if you are a driver with a disability.

How to change your car tax class for the first time if you’re a driver with a disability

If you’re a disabled driver or a nominated driver for someone with a disability and you want to change your car tax to the disabled class for the first time, you must claim at a Post Office that offers vehicle tax services. After this, you can apply online or by phone to renew your vehicle tax exemption or reduction.

To change your tax class, you will need to bring the following items to the Post Office when applying:

  • Certificate of Entitlement to DLA, PIP, AFIP or WPMS
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C log book) or the V5C/2 (nominated driver details)
  • A completed application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V62).

To find a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax near you, visit the Post Office Branch Finder.

Don’t forget, while you don’t need a Blue Badge to qualify for disabled car tax, you may be eligible for one. Blue Badge parking concessions are granted to drivers or passengers with certain medical conditions in the UK, so it’s worth checking whether you’d be covered. 

To find out more about changing your car tax class for the first time and whether you’re eligible for free road tax as a disabled driver, read our road tax exemption guide.

How to change car tax from disabled to private

If you’re the new owner of a vehicle and are not eligible for tax exemptions, or if you are a disabled driver no longer eligible for free tax, the only way to change the tax class from disabled is to apply at a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax.

You will need to provide the following documents:

  • The V5C (log book) registered in your name or the green ‘new keeper’ slip (V5C/2)
  • An original, valid MOT or GVT certificate (if the vehicle needs one)
  • Payment for vehicle tax (if applicable)
  • An insurance certificate or cover note (if the vehicle is registered to a Northern Ireland address).

How to change disabled car tax to another car

Unfortunately, you’re unable to transfer disabled car tax status – or any type of car tax – from one vehicle to another. Instead, you’ll need to apply for disabled car tax at a participating Post Office when you get a new vehicle, or if the registered keeper changes.

Disabled driver insurance from Adrian Flux

With more than 50 years’ experience in providing specialist car insurance and offering more than 200 insurance schemes covering disabled drivers, we’ll help you find the right disabled driver insurance policy to suit your needs.

Related Articles

Get a free insurance quote for your vehicle

Get a Free Quote