How Brexit affects racing drivers travelling in Europe

Racing drivers will need to gear up for more than just on-track action as they continue their preparations for the 2021 campaign.

Having had to already adjust to the new Green Card insurance regulations that came into effect on January 1 as a result of Brexit, drivers and their teams have also been affected by several new rules that will change the way they travel across Europe to compete.

British motorsport’s governing body has confirmed an ATA Carnet will be required to temporarily move vehicles and equipment across the border.

A Motorsport UK statement said: An ATA Carnet is an international Customs document that operates like a passport for your goods. It allows the temporary importation of goods into countries that are part of the ATA Carnet system (the EU and 40+ additional countries) and avoids you having to pay unnecessary taxes or duties.

“ATA Carnets cover all goods that are leaving the UK and returning within a 12-month period. They do not cover disposable goods (oil, fluids) that will be used while out of the country or items that will not be returning to the UK.

“The ATA Carnet simplifies the customs procedure into a single document and makes the importation process much quicker and easier to handle. To avoid unnecessary border delays and customs checks the carnet should be acquired in advance of travel.”

Motorsport UK has secured a special deal for its members that will allow the carnet to be processed/arranged for a fee of £240+VAT. The discount with the Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce represents a saving of around a third on the standard rate.

Drivers will also have to carry their passport, driving licence
and registration documents, display a GB sticker and carry a spare set of bulbs, a breathalyser, a high-vis vest for the driver and each passenger, and a first aid kit.

A separate Green Card and V5 document will be required for the race car and any tow vehicle or trailer.

How do I get a Green Card?

Getting your Green Card couldn’t be easier. Contact your insurer to get a Green Card or if you’re looking for a new policy with Green Card cover contact Adrian Flux. Enquiries can be handled more quickly over the phone so call 0800 369 8590 today.

You will need to provide your name, insurance policy number, registration number, dates of travel and the countries you intend visiting. Your Green Card can usually be emailed to you the same day.

Related Articles

Elaine Southworth tells us about how the Adrian Flux-backed Daddy Cool drag racing team has now become a real family affair.
Adrian Flux are one of the chief partners for a brand new racing team, Brundle Motorsport, fronted by Alex Brundle.
Commentator and fellow racer Alex Brundle details how you can save money on your car insurance.
Asha Silva and Anji Silva Vadgama are two of Team BRIT’s newest drivers, but they’re already making big waves in the motorsport scene.