Get a quote

Do I need to update my home insurance if I’m working from home?

Words by
January 8, 2021
Share this:

With millions of more people working from home, you may be wondering whether working from home will affect your home insurance. 

Most insurers will cover clerical work as standard, with some covering certain business equipment, but not all. If you are doing anything other than clerical work including visitors to your home this will need to be declared to your insurer. However it is best to check with your insurer if you are covered for straightforward clerical work.

Here’s a rundown on everything you need to know about how working from home affects your home and contents insurance.  

Will working from home affect my home insurance?

home insurance

In short, no, if you’re an office-based worker and need to work from home,  your Adrian Flux cover will not be affected. We already provide cover for office equipment like computers and printers – it comes as standard with our contents insurance. 

There’s no need to get in touch to let us know you’re working from home, so you can just concentrate on setting up the perfect working from home space. No commuting, no distractions, and managing your own time – there are some positives to working from home, including being able to sit in your pyjamas, well unless you have a video call. 

If you’re not insured with Adrian Flux, you may need to tell your insurer. If you don’t tell them you work from home and need to make a claim in the future, it may have consequences so it’s always worth checking.

Do I need extra home insurance cover to work from home?

home insurance

Depending on the nature of your job, you may want to make sure you’re fully covered for accidents that happen as a result of working from home. If this is something you’ve been thinking about, you might consider taking out extra insurance such as additional accidental cover.

Change to property owners liability? 

Included as standard in our home insurance policies, you will be covered if a visitor to your home is injured and makes a claim. For more information on visitors to your home, and on people who are staying with you, you may wish to visit The Association of British Insurers to better understand what your insurer may off for home and contents cover.

Employer’s liability

If you employ anyone, on any basis, even volunteers, you need to have cover in case they injure themselves whilst they’re working for you.

It is extremely important to check with your insurer on your coverage as some wordings will exclude any liability regarding businesses.

More ways to save money

Adrian Flux is a specialist home insurance broker with some great deals on home and contents insurance, even if you work from home. The best deals are usually available over the phone. Call 0808 503 5623 to find out how much you could save. 

DIY project at home? Why you must tell your insurer about your plans

Related Articles

Get a free insurance quote for your vehicle

Get a Free Quote