Updated 2016 with latest prices
Adrian Flux investigates the best cars for new drivers
There’s no getting away from it: Car insurance for 17 year olds is expensive. The simple fact is the youngest drivers on our roads are statistically more dangerous, owing to their understandable lack of experience behind the wheel.
This guide is aimed at 17-year-olds who have just passed their test, but includes tips about the cheapest cars to insure that will be relevant to any young motorists.
If you are a young driver trying to get on the road, it’s not all doom and gloom. There are some things you can do to help yourself:
- Take an advanced driving course, like PassPlus, Btec Level 2, IAM, or RoSPA. By getting extra skills and experience, you’ll be making yourself a safer driver and young drivers can often save much more than the cost of the course on their first insurance premium.
- Make your policy work for you. Take a limited mileage policy if you can commit to driving less than, say 1500, 3,000 or 5,000 miles a year. Another money-saving method is installing a black box into your car, which will measure your mileage and reduce your premium.
- Joining a car owners club can drop your premium by up to 15%.
- Keeping your car in a safe place, for example the garage or driveway, and improving security features, such as fitting an alarm, will decrease the risk of theft and keep costs down.
- Add a parent with driving experience onto the policy to further reduce your premium.
So far, so good, but there are some factors you can’t, or are unlikely to change. You can’t make yourself any older, and you probably don’t want to move house just to get cheaper car insurance. So that leaves the car that you choose as the main factor in determining the price you will pay.
The best cars for young drivers
So what is the most affordable car to insure? We did some research into cheap first cars and the result may surprise you.
The top 4 low insurance cars are:
- Saab 96 V4
- VW Beetle 1200
- Morris 1100 DL
- Landrover 88
The cheapest cars to insure, for a teenage driver, are the classic motors. They may not have Bluetooth, automatic lights or even electric windows, but they do have a lot of character. At Adrian Flux we say the older the better when it comes to affordable insurance for young drivers!
However our research into the cheapest cars for young drivers isn’t just a list of bangers, with respectable modern motors like the Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Aygo doing well for affordable insurance premiums.
Below is the list of cheap cars to insure. You’ll notice that almost all of them are low powered 1 litre engines – if you go for a more powerful car too soon, your premium will accelerate faster than your car, so watch out. All the quotes below are based on recent real client applications for:
- A 17 year-old driver with a full driving license studying a white-collar subject (for example business) with a part-time sales assistant job
- Zero no claims bonus, claim and conviction free
- Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting use
- Limited mileage policy of 5,000 miles per annum
- Car parked on the drive in a low risk area
|Citroen C1 Code||£2,500||998 cc||£1,223||£500|
|Citroen C1 Rhythm||£2,000||998 cc||£1,205||£500|
|Citroen C1 VTR||£4,000||998 cc||£1,215||£500|
|Fiat 500C Lounge||£5,000||1242 cc||£1,215||£500|
|Fiat 500C Lounge||£5,500||1242 cc||£1,064||£500|
|Fiat Punto (Grande)||£1,500||1242 cc||£1,205||£500|
|Ford KA Zetec Climate||£1,000||1297 cc||£1,100||£500|
|Hotchkiss N201||£16,000||2220 cc||£1,115||£700|
|Kia Picanto Zapp!||£1,500||999 cc||£1.205||£500|
|Landrover 88||£8,000||2286 cc||£1,017||£450|
|Morris 1100 DL||£2,500||1098 cc||£1.015||£450|
|Peugeot 107 Urban||£1,100||998 cc||£1,205||£500|
|Renault Clio Dynamique||£500||1149 cc||£1,223||£450|
|Rover Mini Premier||£2,999||1000 cc||£1,260||£450|
|Saab 96 V4||£3,500||1498 cc||£778||£450|
|Seat Arosa S 8V||£700||999 cc||£1,223||£450|
|Suzuki Alto SZ3||£2,999||996 cc||£1,223||£500|
|Toyota Aygo Black||£2,400||998 cc||£1,115||£500|
|Toyota IQ||£4,500||998 cc||£1,223||£500|
|Toyota Yaris TR VVT-1||£4,000||998 cc||£1,223||£500|
|Triumph 2000||£2,000||1998 cc||£1,051||£450|
|Vauxhall Corsa Design||£1,400||1229 cc||£1,205||£500|
|Vauxhall Viva De Luxe||£3,000||1159 cc||£1,019||£450|
|VW Beetle 1200||£2,500||1192 cc||£860||£450|
|VW Polo E (60)||£2,600||1198 cc||£1,205||£500|
If you’re looking for cheap car insurance for young drivers, look no further than Adrian Flux. We have specialist policies for new drivers, and can offer cheaper rates on the phone. Give us a call on 0330 123 1232 or request a callback from our advisors.