Skip to main content
New Customers | Existing customers
Save money with Specialist Insurance
Adrian Flux European Car Insurance

European Car Insurance

Going on a road trip abroad? Make sure you’re covered with European car insurance. We can offer cover for up to 365 days.

Existing customers please call:
Existing customers please call:

Which countries do you offer cover in?

We offer cover within the green card bureau countries. The green card system essentially protects victims of international road traffic accidents caused by foreign vehicles. This is done through a cross-border-accepted document (i.e. the green card) which proves you have insurance in place.

Along with the 27 member states in the European Union, we can cover you in the following countries:

  • Three additional countries participating in the European Economic Area (EEA): Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
  • Six additional countries participating in the green card system by way of agreement: Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom
Blue BMW driving on a Eurpean road
Blue BMW driving on a Eurpean road

Get a European Car Insurance Quote

Cars driving towards the arc de triomphe

How does cover work?

When you take out a car insurance policy in the UK, policies include the minimum legally required level of cover in the EU and most probably some of the countries listed above.

At Adrian Flux, our policies include cover up to the fully comprehensive insurance level for a limited time in European countries – usually for an average of around 60 days per year.

We’re also able to extend that period of European cover to suit your needs. If you need a longer period of EU car insurance, we can accommodate this up to 365 days per year.

In addition to the countries listed above, we are also able to provide specialist policies for cover in the following countries.

  • Albania
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • Turkey
Cars driving towards the arc de triomphe

What is European car insurance?

European car insurance covers you to travel freely in Europe in your own vehicle. As insurance is a legal requirement, you will need to have the right cover in place before you travel.

Woman on holiday standing next to a car
Woman on holiday standing next to a car

Get a European Car Insurance Quote

White vintage fiat 500 driving

Do I need European car insurance to travel in the EU?

Yes, you will need some form of cover while you travel in Europe. In European countries, it is a legal requirement to insure your vehicle when driving.

White vintage fiat 500 driving

What kind of car insurance do I need to drive in the EU?

At a minimum, you will need third party only cover to drive in the EU. If you have a comprehensive insurance policy in the UK, third party EU cover is often included as standard, but it’s best to check this before you travel.

It’s important to note that third party insurance only covers you for damage caused to someone else’s vehicle. This means that if you get into an accident, you won’t be able to claim for repairs to your own vehicle on your policy.

If you’d prefer fully comprehensive or third party, fire and theft cover while driving in Europe, let us know.

Mini cooper se parked beside italian restaurant
Mini cooper se parked beside italian restaurant

Over 81% of customers who got an online quote could have saved money if they’d called us instead.

hite Volkswagen Beetle driving in Lisbon

How much is European car insurance?

All policies you take out with us come with the free minimum legal requirement of cover. However, if you’d like to travel for longer, the cost varies depending on how long you plan on staying, the level of cover you require, and the vehicle you’ll be driving.

hite Volkswagen Beetle driving in Lisbon


If you’re a UK resident preparing to drive in Europe, the items you need to take with you vary depending on which country you’re visiting. It’s a good idea to check the specific requirements for the country you’re visiting.


In general, you’ll likely need the following:


  • Valid passport
  • Car insurance certificate
  • Car’s original registration document (V5C)
  • UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)
  • Travel insurance

For the most part, a certificate of insurance issued by us is sufficient. However, outside the EU we recommend you take a green card with you as these are widely recognised as proof that you have the correct cover in place. We issue the document for free.

You can drive in European Union countries as well as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein with a valid photocard licence issued in the UK.

However, if you’re travelling outside of Europe, you have a paper licence, or your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man, you might need an International Driving Permit (IDP). It’s a good idea to check whether you need one before you travel.

The majority of countries in Europe drive on the right. The only countries that drive on the left are:

  • The Channel Islands
  • Cyprus
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Malta

Get a European Car Insurance Quote

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.
Read more