Skip to main content
New Customers | Existing customers
Save money with Specialist Insurance

Laid-up Insurance, SORN Insurance and Build-up Cover

Existing customers please call

When Adrian Flux began work over 50 years ago, it was as a specialist insurer for kit cars, helping customers other companies might ignore. After all this time, we still haven’t forgotten our roots, and insuring car builders, modifiers and enthusiasts is still our biggest passion.

Existing customers please call

From kit cars being built to SORN insurance, cars laid-up in need of repairing, to ones you only use seasonally. Whatever your reason for keeping a vehicle off the road, Adrian Flux has the insurance for you.

There are all sorts of reasons that you might want to keep your car off the road but still keep it insured. Even when unused and parked in a garage, cars can be damaged by accident or by fire and can even be targeted by thieves and criminals. To help keep your motor intact whilst you aren’t using it, we have teamed up with our experienced panel of insurers to find the ideal laid-up insurance policy for you.

We are also able to offer insurance for cars that wont be used on the road, but aren’t laid-up. We have policies available for track cars, show cars and even purely off-road cars (vehicle must have a unique identification number, such as a chassis or engine number); as long as you wont be driving on the road you could get discounted insurance to help cover your motoring hobbies.

Laid-up Insurance Policy Features

With cover for almost any car and any situation, plus with a huge range of benefits available, there is no reason not to have cover from Adrian Flux. Below are just a few of the many features of our laid-up car insurance policies:

  • Discounted rates with no third party or liability insurance needed when you are off the road, we could save you money compared to a standard policy
  • Our laid-up and build-up insurances are available at two levels, fire and theft or fire and theft plus accidental damage, ideal to suit any budget and any need
  • Access to our 24-hour claims line; making our helpful team available to you, whenever you need
  • Cover for cars and bikes that aren’t road legal or that are used exclusively on private land, such as off-roading vehicles or racetrack cars (vehicle must have a unique identification number, such as a chassis or engine number)
  • We can offer build-up insurance for cars that are off the road for repairs, customisation and modification helping to keep your project safe and protected
  • Insurance for your vehicle even whilst it has a SORN applied. Many insurers will only cover you whilst you have an MOT and tax, but we can arrange a specialist policy to help when they wont

Along with our fantastic car insurance offerings, we also provide home insurance policies tailored to those who have laid-up cars and ongoing motoring projects. We have access to schemes which are able to cover any car parts or motoring tools kept in your house or garage, something that many other home policies wont cover perfect for when you are repairing or modifying your car at home.

The UK’s Largest Specialist Insurer

With over 50 years experience, an extensive panel of insurers to draw from and a team of passionate, expert staff, Adrian Flux is ideally suited to help you find the perfect laid-up insurance.

Based in the UK, all of our helpful and friendly team members are on hand to help you get the quote you need, at a price you can afford. As motoring enthusiasts themselves, our staff can even help to answer any questions you might have about our laid-up and build-up insurance policies far more helpful than a comparison site or an automated phone line.

What is SORN and what does it mean?

SORN stands for statutory off-road notification. You should register your vehicle for SORN if you won’t be driving it. You should do this if you the following apply to you for even a short period of time:

  • You’ve stopped taxing your vehicle
  • You’ve stopped insuring it
  • You’ve recently bought a car but don’t want to use it yet

While your vehicle is registered off-road, you’ll need to keep it on private property, such as a driveway or in a garage.

How long is a SORN valid?

You don’t need to keep renewing your SORN; it continues indefinitely until you no longer require it. In this case, you’ll need to update your SORN application.

How to SORN a car or other vehicle

Registering your car as off-road is an easy process. All you need to do is apply online through the SORN service website.

What is laid-up car insurance?

Laid-up car insurance – also known as SORN insurance – helps ensure that even when your vehicle’s off the road, it’s protected against dangers like fire or theft. Whilst SORN cover isn’t a legal requirement, it can pay to be cautious.

How much does laid-up insurance cost?

Laid-up insurance is generally a lot cheaper than regular car insurance as you won’t be using your vehicle on the roads. Simply give us a call on to get a free, no-obligation quote.

Does SORN automatically cancel my insurance?

No, if you want to cancel your insurance you’ll need to tell your insurance provider. You can leave your policy running or potentially reduce your policy to laid-up cover, which is generally cheaper. If you don’t have any insurance on the vehicle you won’t be covered for costs involved with fire, theft, vandalism or accidental damage, all of which a laid-up policy would help protect against.

If you are insured with us, give us a call on and we can talk to you about arranging a laid-up policy.





Courtesy Car


Excess Protect

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.
Read more